Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Princess And The Fog

Coming from Hollywood I know a thing or two about hype - I used to help manufacture it. So all the dire warnings about the coming "fog" were easy to dismiss as overblown. I'd lived at the beach, I'd experienced dense fog, it wasn't such a big deal.

WRONG

On the news it was described as "mild" and "patchy".

Holy Mother of Pearl. I opened the front door to take the dogs out and couldn't see past the doormat. The dogs ran out... and vanished. Thank god they were on leashes otherwise they'd be gone for good. I ventured out as far as the front lawn... I think. Hard to tell. It was like having cataracts. Only one street light was visible and it looked like a distant star. The dogs freaked out and came rushing back in. Did they do their business? Who knows.

And this was "mild"?!?! Yikes.

I'll give Bako this - they don't do their plagues half-assed here. The more Biblical, the better.

Dust storms? Ours are toxic, spore-laden killer dust storms!

Cockroaches? The size of a pack of cigarettes!

Houseflies? In swarms that will black out the sun!

And now we can add fog so thick it could swallow your will to live.