Monday, December 7, 2009

Blue Plate Special

The boyfriend has snapped. Maybe it was our diminished circumstances, our dire financial straits. Maybe the three months living here have worn him down already. I may never know the reason, but the old boyfriend, the gourmet chef who could effortlessly put together a five course meal, who's cooking rivaled the best restaurants in LA, is gone.

He called me in to dinner last night, and there before me on the table was a casserole.

A Bakersfield Casserole.

Ground beef was involved. Cream of Mushroom soup. Lots of Cream of Mushroom soup. Cheddar cheese.

And crowning it all was a golden blanket of...

Tater tots.

The most frightening thing was it wasn't half bad.

Maybe it was just a one-off, a bad day, a momentary crack. Or maybe it was a glimpse into my new "tot" based future.

Or worse.

I think I spied Cheez-Whiz in the pantry.