Thursday, December 16, 2010

Radio Daze



Yesterday I was on my way back to Lowe's to pick up more paint. This house is sucking down so much paint we might as well have it delivered by tanker truck. I had the radio tuned to one of the local pop stations and after listening to it for awhile I have a couple of observations.

Firstly - what is the problem with these people and math? An ad came on for a local business and it ended with this:

"Founded in 1970, we've been in business for over 30 years..."

Why, yes, that is more than 30 years.

It's SO much over thirty years that it's actually... FORTY.

Why not just say that? Why 30? Why not 35? Or 25? Hell, why not "in business for over 1 year..." It makes just about as much sense.

I swear everything here is just so arbitrary.

And secondly, here's bulletin from the Department of Redundancy Department - a local gym is sponsoring a weight loss challenge and they're calling it "The Bakersfield Loser".

In a nice oxymoronic touch, the "winner" will be crowned the Bakersfield "Loser".

Having lived here a year, I can tell you that they're all "winners" in my book.