Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hot N’ Tot



You would think I would know better by now, but those who forget their mistakes are condemned to repeat them, so of course I chose the express lane at the market.

There I was with my 8 items or less and as I approached checkout there were long lines everywhere.

Except the express lane.

There stood a lone woman with only two items. How bad could it be? So I fell for it.

She had Tater Tots and Cool Whip. You may think to yourself "What a random combination of products. Surely they aren't to be used together." But then you don't know Bako cuisine. Of course they were.

And I know this because the woman was breathlessly giving her super secret Tot recipe to the checker, who was listening in rapt silence.

Now, when I hear "Tater Tot recipe" I immediately think "casserole". Who doesn't? Some ground beef, Cream of Mushroom soup. Probably some cheese product, say, oh, Velveeta.

But nooooooooooooooo... this was for a desert!

A "Seven Layer Desert Dip from Hell".

First you start with the graham cracker crust.

Then a layer of Hershey's chocolate bars.

Marshmallow.

A layer of Tater Tots.

Grated cheddar cheese (!).

Topped with Cool Whip.

Actually, that's only six layers, not that it matters.

"It's just like s'mores!" the woman exclaimed with a flourish.

Ah, yes. Who among us doesn't have happy memories of sitting around the campfire, singing songs, chowing down on our cheesy potato S'mores?

One of the locals once told me there has been no shortage of attempts to open fine dining restaurants in Bako, but that they all fail within a year. Perhaps they should try topping everything with cheese.

And Cool Whip.