Friday, January 20, 2012

When You Wish Upon A Star



When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do

Fate is kind
She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing

Like a bolt out of the blue...


And it was a bolt out of blue, let me tell you.

They say all good things must come to an end. And it turns out, mercifully, so do all the awful, miserable, soul crushing things. By which I mean our Bakersfield exile.

We're moving.

I know I vowed 2012 was the year we were getting the fuck out of Dogpatch, come hell or high water. But I didn't count on it happening in the first 20 days.

All of my work, for the better part of the past year has come from LA. I teach in LA. I could have moved back to LA months ago. The fly in the ointment was the boyfriend's job. We couldn't do it all on one income and without a solution to that issue we were stuck like a truck in the mud.

And it's not like he hasn't been trying. He's been blanketing all of Southern California for months with resumes and applications with absolutely no luck.

Thursday morning he was having a particularly awful morning with his tyrannical boss and called me to say he was going to quit. I talked him off the ledge and he channeled his energy to something useful... Craigslist.

He found a just posted job and immediately shot them a resume, they called back within ten minutes and set up an interview for today. He called in sick and went for the interview and as of 4pm today, he has a new job. Paying three times what he was making in Bako. And the best part of the job? IT AINT HERE. WE ARE LEAVING.

The job's in Orange County, where I grew up. It's funny... growing up there we always referred to living "behind the Orange Curtain", as if it was some ass-backwards, provincial, know-nothing, reactionary right-wing cesspool. Now, having lived in a ass-backwards, provincial, know-nothing, reactionary right-wing cesspool for over two years, Orange County looks like the fucking Promised Land.

Details to come, it's all still too fresh.

There is a downside, of course.

It will mean the end of this blog. That makes me sad, actually, it's been unbelievably therapeutic. I suppose I could keep it going wherever we land, but the reality is the vitriol is the charm and I can't imagine hating anywhere in the world with the white hot intensity of the hate I feel for Bakersfield.

But fear not, nothing is happening all that soon. The boyfriend may have to relocate to the OC (and stay with my parents, which is it's own potential minefield) while I stay in Bako settling our affairs. I can't imagine we'll make the "official" move until around April Fool's Day, which seems entirely appropriate.

So until then, the blog continues, unchained.

Now I feel no need to be so nice.