Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Empty Nest



I've had some whirlwind weeks in my life but it's safe to say this one takes the cake.

Last Thursday we were still searching for path out of the dead end of our lives in Bakersfield and today, not quite one week later, the path isn't just clear but the journey has already begun... today was the boyfriend's first day on the new job. The early reviews are in and it's a night and day improvement. He loves it.

He had hoped to take some time off before beginning the new gig, primarily because he hasn't taken a day off in over a year but also because to say there's a lot to do here is an understatement. But they needed him today and he wasn't about to question it. Yesterday he spent the day packing some things and by 5 he was gone. He'll be staying with my folks during the week and coming back here on the weekends.

The bizarre thing, to me, is that it was almost exactly a year to the day that we found ourselves in exactly the opposite situation. I found myself leaving unexpectedly to look after my folks after my mother's heart surgery and it was the boyfriend who was left marooned alone in Bako for a month.

We've known all along that this would have to be this way for the immediate future, but that certainly doesn't make it any easier. He hasn't even been gone a full day and I miss him desperately. If I thought I was living a lonely existence before, now I'm really going to be put to the test. He was my only human contact.

At least I have the dogs. That's some comfort.