Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Take This Job And Shove It



Although the boyfriend was offered his new job on Friday, it wasn't entirely a done deal. His hiring still needed to be signed off by the General Manager, who was out of town on Friday. If we've learned nothing during our exile it's been not to count your chickens before their hatched, so it was a little bit of a tense weekend. Not that we expected it to fall apart, but then again, you never know.

So when the decision was finally approved yesterday there was only one thing left for him to do... quit.

There have been a couple of times in my career when I found myself in miserable jobs working for tyrannical psychopaths and in both cases I lined up a new gig on the sly and relished the final confrontation when I could finally tell the boss to fuck off. Not so the boyfriend. He stressed about it all weekend and when the time finally came yesterday, he did the noble thing. He quit over the phone, taking a non-confrontational, "It's not you, it's me" approach.

To each their own.

I'll still be stuck here for awhile wrapping up our affairs and the time will finally come for me to inform the locals my services are no longer available. I'm pretty sure I'm going to handle it differently.