Monday, January 9, 2012

School Daze



I was always one of those geeky kids who looked forward to the first day of school. Sad, I know.

And some things never change - this week is the start of the new quarter of my teaching gig, and I can't wait.

My big concern when I started teaching back in the Fall was the drive. It's 110 miles each way, the trip back late at night. I thought for sure that it would become onerous really quick, but surprisingly I actually enjoy it. In fact, for the past month I've been off, I missed it. It's kind of become my brief zen interlude, the only time during the week I'm actually off this damn computer and free of annoying client email and texts. I throw on some soothing classical music or jazz as I drive through the mountains in the golden afternoon light.

It's also a weekly one day vacation from Loserville, a chance to reconnect with civilization and the only opportunity I usually get to exercise some social skills. It's win, win win.

And the best news of all is that my students from last quarter gave me glowing reviews, so there's already talk of expanding my teaching responsibilities in the Spring. This may finally be the first baby step out of Bako.