Saturday, December 31, 2011

Resolute



At least being out of Dogpatch allows one a chance to reflect on the year ahead.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "New Year's Resolution" business anymore.

There was a time I did well by them. One year I resolved to get back the gym and get in shape, and I did and looked better than I had in years. Another year my goal was to travel more, and I ended up jetting all over the place. And then there was the year I was determined to buy my first house, and did.

More recently... not so much.

For 2008, I resolved to reinvigorate my career after being downsized in 2007. That didn't exactly go as planned, which led to my resolution for 2009...

Not to let the house go into foreclosure after my income dropped precipitously. That proved to be only a partial success - the house didn't go into foreclosure. But only because we were forced into a short sale. And we ended up in Bakersfield. So I'm going to have to classify this as a FAIL.

For 2010, the goal was to move Heaven and Earth to get the fuck out of Bakersfield.

Which was obviously an EPIC FAIL.

For 2011, against my better judgement, I opted for a do-over of 2010.

And here we are.

So for 2012, taking into consideration my blood pressure and hoping to avoid the usual bouts of suicidal depression, I've decided it's best to lower my expectations. To not shoot for the stars. To choose something achievable, something doable, the success of which will give me something to build on.

For 2012, my New Year's Resolution is to... floss more.