Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Crushed



Well, this is simply tragic. Our 70's-era trash compactor died.

And it wasn't pretty.

I noticed it making some odd sounds on Saturday and then when I went to use it Sunday something went horribly, horribly wrong.

Immediately it started making a terrible grinding sound and the whole unit started to shudder and shake. I tried to stop it, really I did, but once it starts its cycle there's no going back. I stood by helplessly for the next 30 seconds to the sounds of plastic popping and cracking, metal shrieking as it was twisted and smashed. It was the sound of utter devastation, the sound of hopes and dreams being destroyed. At least, that's what I imagine mine sounded like when they were crushed.

Eventually we were able to pry it open and it was ugly. The machine essentially compacted itself to death. If I didn't know better I'd say it committed suicide. That's Bakersfield for you - eventually even the appliances lose the will to live.

It's clearly irreparable and replacing it would be prohibitively expensive. Now I don't know what I'm going to do. I'd really grown attached to it. Actually, obsessed with it. Crushing things was often the highlight of my day. Like they say, "Once you compact, you never go bact."

The boyfriend said he'd go on eBay and see if he can find a decent used one. While he's there I should have him check to see if he can find some pre-owned, lightly used hopes and dreams.