Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bread & Circuses



Add one more thing to the list of foreign, exotic, alien food that you can't find here...

Rye bread.

It joins the ever expanding selection of lost foods that includes, among other things, any cheese that doesn't come in an individually wrapped square or a brick.

The boyfriend added rye bread to my grocery list yesterday. He's a fan, but for me it's more of an acquired taste. Since I live to please him, I ended up wasting ten minutes in the bakery department of our local supermarket searching in vain for it. There's an entire wall of white and wheat bread and a much smaller section in the corner of "ethnic bread"... bagels, pita, english muffins and... raisin? Whatever. Surely I must just be overlooking it since as far as I knew it was pretty much a staple, right?

Finally, in desperation, I approached the man behind the bakery counter who, as luck would have it, was the "store baker".

"Yeah, we haven't had rye in a long while. We might be getting some in in a few weeks" he said.

Arriving, no doubt, on the next mule train.

In fairness, there is a sad, lonely Trader Joe's across town where you can usually find at least some of these un-American foods, but yesterday I had neither the time nor the patience to go on a scavenger hunt.

The boyfriend is just going to have to go without. Something you get used to here.