Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ice, Ice Baby



I took the dogs out for their morning walk around 6:30 after the boyfriend left for work. It was dark and the sun wouldn't rise for another half hour. It was 31 degrees and lightly foggy and I was bundled in a winter parka, gloves and a knit cap. Still, the damp cold ate through my jeans and I was freezing.

All the neighbors' automatic sprinklers had turned the sidewalks into treacherous sheets of ice, so we found ourselves walking slightly in the street, a death wish here. As we rounded a corner I heard running water in the pre-dawn darkness and there was one of our neighbors...

Washing her car.

This shit doesn't even faze me anymore.

"Cracked out on meth" I thought to myself. It's my "go-to" explanation for all the odd behavior you see here. It beats the alternative possibility...

That I actually live in an insane asylum.