Saturday, July 2, 2011

Where America Shops™



Two amazing things happened yesterday.

The first was... I paid all my bills for the month of July. All of 'em. On time. Even early in several cases. That hasn't happened in almost three years. And when all was said and done I even had money left over. Either it's some small sign things are starting to get better, or it was a fluke. Here's to hoping it was the former.

And second... I received my Sears credit card in the mail!

Five years ago if you had suggested I get a Sears card I'd think you were smoking crack. There was no way in hell I'd be caught dead carrying a Sears card. Buy oh, how the mighty have fallen. The Great Recession not only knocked me on my ass, it also knocked me off my high horse.

Last year, when we really could have used it, I was declined. Declined by Sears! It doesn't get much lower than that. But the short sale on the LA house had crushed my credit and my income at the time was spotty at best. A couple of weeks ago I decided to give it another shot and this time the Gods of Kenmore smiled on me and issued me a card!

As soon as it was activated I did the sensible thing...

I went online and bought us a pool.

One of those white trash, above ground deals. It's being delivered in a week.

Some may say that's being irresponsible, but here's my logic: It's cheaper than a funeral.

It's supposed to be around 106 for the next ten days with swamp-like humidity and if we can't find a little relief from the heat, one or both of us is going to go suicidal.

When you look at it that way, it actually seems like a very practical decision.