Sunday, July 17, 2011

Go Big Or Go Home



What to say about the pool... it's GINORMOUS.

That wasn't the original plan. Originally we were just going to get a small one and place it over the old spa. Maybe 8 feet, a foot or two deep, something to splash around in and cool off.

"But ya know" said the boyfriend, "That isn't really big enough to float on a raft. Shouldn't we get something a little bigger?"

He had a point. Maybe we should go a little bigger. Ten, maybe twelve feet. That would be huge, but then we could at least float around and pretend we were somewhere else. But no bigger.

A few days later I say him out in the backyard with a tape measure. "What's up?" I asked.

"Well.... I was thinking, if we went just a little bigger, there would be room for BOTH of us to be floating on rafts at the same time..."

I looked at the tape measure, which stretched nearly from the house to the back fence. It was at 18 feet.

I tried to be the voice of reason, but you would think I would know by now that that never works. And it was beside the point anyhow, the decision had been made. We were getting an 18 foot round pool.

One thing I didn't anticipate though, was that as the size of the pool keep increasing, so did the depth. It hadn't even really occurred to me. I was helping the boyfriend assemble the pool yesterday morning. We had the external ring put together and I was getting my first look at just how massive this thing was going to be.

"Let's start putting up the sides" he said as he handed me one of the side support poles.

It was 5 feet long.

This wasn't a pool, it was a water tank.

The pool is so deep it requires a ladder to enter. The ladder is tall enough to climb on the roof. The pool is almost as tall as the fence, meaning anyone on the street can watch you enter the pool. In fact, as I float on my raft, the neighbors will probably be able to see me. That should prove to be relaxing. I think we can pretty much rule out skinny dipping.

Ever the optimist, the boyfriend pointed out that the pool is so tall you can't see the crooked fence posts anymore. Well, that's a plus.

It took 12 hours to fully fill it. The boyfriend was true to his word and managed to get the water looking sparkling clean. It's probably a witches brew of pool chemicals, and I can smell the chlorine from here in the office, but it looks refreshing.

We plan on test driving it a little later today.