Tuesday, March 29, 2011

An Offer I Could Refuse



I think it's safe to say that without the dogs there would be no blog. Most of the Bakersfield weirdness I experience is found on our daily walks.

Case in point, yesterday we were out on our afternoon stroll when a beat up rattletrap pickup truck pulled up alongside us. The passenger window rolled down and behind the wheel was a grizzled old yokel. He smiled a toothless grin and then said...

"I wanna buy your dogs."

Now, our dogs are adorable. Who wouldn't want to buy them? I assumed he was being cute and smiled and politely told him they weren't for sale.

His grin faded and he suddenly turned serious.

"No really... how much ya want for the dogs?"

Now I was creeped out.

I told him again they weren't for sale and turned away, doubling our speed and dragging the dogs along with me.

He finally pulled away, and as he passed I heard him say "Them sure is some good lookin' dogs."

The way he said it made it sound like he wanted to eat them. And if you saw him, you'd realize that, well, it's Bakersfield... not ruling anything out.

It's a shame we didn't encounter him a couple of weeks ago, when I had the opossum. I bet he would've really liked that. I hear it tastes like chicken.