Monday, March 7, 2011

The Art Of Flattery

I finally got around to dealing with my taxes, gathered up all the necessary documents and mailed them off to Mathmagic Land and hoped for the best. Last year the bulk of my income, such as it was, still came from over the hill in LA, but it's becoming increasingly clear that that won't be the case this year.

Even before business hit the traditional holiday dead zone, you could tell that the terrain had shifted and it was going to be more difficult than ever to maintain my charade of still being in the LA loop. The clients needed more attention and handholding and they'd turned cool to the idea of people working from home. Fo a variety of passive/aggressive reasons they preferred people working in-house under their thumb, and that wasn't a viable option living over a hundred miles from the action.

But...

Things are surprisingly looking up here in Dogpatch.

I know, go figure.

I actually landed what could prove to be a very lucrative client about a week ago. There are a couple of other options brewing. And I decided to really buckle down and do a major promotional push. And to that end, I decided the very first step should be an image makeover.

For Bakersfield.

They say you catch more flies with honey and that flattery will get you everywhere, and what better way than playing to everyone's insecurities and portraying little 'ole Bako as... appealing.

So I made a little poster...



A little retro, which seemed on point. Appealed to their vanities with a nod to the oil business and agriculture and their aspirations to aerospace and green energy. A happy, bright vision of the place I now call home.

Sure, I took some liberties, like the blue sky. It's called "artistic license", and I probably pushed it right to the point where they revoke it. But overall, I have to say I like it. I actually wouldn't mind living there.

Too bad it doesn't exist.