Monday, November 1, 2010

Random Good Things About Bako #10


As I live and breathe..... sushi!

And good sushi at that. I never thought I'd see that here. We'd been searching for decent sushi for the better part of a year. We'd ask just about everyone we'd meet, but most would screw up their faces in disgust. Not big sushi eaters here. The few, more cosmopolitan types would always mention "Toro Sushi", but then quickly add the caveat "... but it's really expensive".

So we passed.

But the boyfriend had a really good month and we decided on Saturday to splurge.

Turns out "expensive" is in the eye of the beholder - "Bakersfield expensive" isn't even remotely close to "L.A. Expensive". These people would have a coronary when they got the bill in West Hollywood. The check was really pretty reasonable, and if you were to subtract all the sake bombs (but really, why would you?) it was downright cheap. We will definitely be back.

I'm still a little wary about getting raw fish this far from the sea, but it's not like the fish in LA isn't imported too. I mean, would you eat anything caught off San Pedro? I don't think so.