Monday, November 29, 2010

Back In Bako


And so we've returned, from the land of "cee-ment ponds and movie stars", as the locals refer to it.

The drive down wasn't so bad, but the drive back in holiday traffic was hateful, not the least because of our destination.

Two days is just too brief, but all in all it's probably for the best. The longer you're away from Bakersfield, the less likely you are to return. After about four days you'd probably just send in a change of address and take a loss on everything else. Lord knows I thought of it. Although I'd obviously miss the boyfriend, I did have the dogs with me. If I'd thought to take the laptop, returning would have been a tougher call. Sorry honey.

I did get a proper Bako sendoff when I left on Friday...

I got cropdusted!

I was driving south, about 20 miles out of town, when something caught my eye approaching from the west. A small single seat plane flying not more than 50 feet above the crops. It was trailing a white cloud behind it and as it passed overhead my windshield was misted with God knows what. No doubt a toxic witch's brew of banned pesticides.

None of that sissified "organic farming" here. Them's fightin' words.

We take our fruits and vegetables as God intended them.

With a double dose of DDT.