Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Telling It Like It Is


I was riding in the car earlier this morning when a radio spot came on for "Bakersfield's hottest nightclub!"

As far as I know there's only one, so that's a mighty low bar to clear.

It's called "The Nile" because it's housed in the former Nile theater. I've never been in, but from what I've been told it's pretty sketchy. I can't say I'm surprised. It's in a dodgy part of "downtown" and when I took the photo above I had to pan up lest you see all the drifters, drunks and drug addicts that were hanging out on the street in front of it at noon on a Saturday.

At any rate, the announcer for the commercial was obviously white, but he was doing his best to sound "gansta", and the unfortunate result was every time he said "The Nile" it sounded like "denial".

"For a good time in Bakersfield, there's only one place... denial."

"Looking for beautiful people and great music? You can only find it in... denial."

"Denial... for the best time in Bakersfield."


It's a good thing I wasn't driving or we would've ended up in a ditch.