Saturday, July 17, 2010

Back Into The Wasteland


No, not Bakersfield. The "vast wasteland" of television, so described by Newton N. Minow, noted killjoy.

We're now a week into our new super-sized, hi-def lifestyle and our viewing habits have taken on a definite theme:

Big Brother.
Lock Up: Raw.
Cellblock 6: Women in Lockup.

Basically anything involving people trapped, exiled and unable to escape. Make of that what you will. The boyfriend seems to genuinely enjoy them. I watch to discover new coping mechanisms. And how to make a shank out of common toiletries.

I didn't think it possible, but the local news is even worse in HD. Alarming, actually. There are many things that are amazing in HD, but the Poultry Fair isn't one of them.

We finally got around to watching "Avatar". I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it was really just "Pocahontas in Space". I would have loved to see it in a theater, but I'm glad we didn't here in Bako. I'm guessing all the locals were rooting for the evil mining company and probably weren't in a very pleasant mood at the end when they were defeated. Hope I didn't spoil the ending for anyone.

The boyfriend just rented "Alice in Wonderland" for our Saturday date night. A film that takes place in a topsy turvy alternate world full of frightening people and bizarre creatures, where little makes sense and nothing is as it seems, a world verging on becoming an inescapable nightmare.

Hmmm. Sounds familiar.