Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Arts And Crap


There are two things never in short supply in Bakersfield - anger and disappointment. Today's case in point: art supplies.

In our diminished financial straits I wasn't going to be able to give the boyfriend the type of birthday celebration he deserved. But one thing I could do is create a piece of art. Something personal that showed my deep and abiding love for him.

All I needed was some basic art supplies.

But this is Bako, so as with everything else the answer is "no can do".

I googled "Art Supplies Bakersfield" and all it returned were page after page of scrapbooking stores. And an aquarium shop.

There's no way that could be right, so I just asked my boss where to go.

"For scrapbooking?" she asked.

What the hell is with these people and scrapbooking?

It would appear the only option I have is Aaron Brothers, a framing store with an "art supply" section no bigger than a walk-in closet. Instead of a lovely piece of art I could be proud of, it appears the boyfriend will be getting something made out of pipecleaners.

It's the thought that counts, right?