Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Beginning Of The End


So I start my new job tomorrow. This may be the last post for awhile, what with the uncontrollable sobbing and massive alcohol intake.

I went and signed all the paperwork today. It felt a bit like renouncing my citizenship in the real world. I have a sneaking suspicion this won't end well. Call it a hunch. When I filled out all the paperwork I inevitably came to the part where you have to designate an emergency contact and I, of course, listed my boyfriend.

"Domestic Partner".

When the woman guiding me through the process, who'd been nothing but nice up until then, read that she screwed up her face like I'd just let the biggest fart in the world.

I also had to pass a drug test.

Never thought I'd be hoping to fail a drug test, but I was. It's a definite sign of age when you know there's little danger of them finding anything when you pee in a cup.

I had to go to the business office, which was in a lovely office building right next to the Stockdale Tower, the only skyscraper in Bakersfield, and the tallest building in all of Kern County.

It's twelve stories.

My old parking garage at my last job was taller, but whatever.

The office was quite nice, right next to the parole office. Nice, clean and modern. I won't be working there.

No, I'll be working at their other facility, the one in the drab, dreary industrial park, behind the abandoned and shuttered Mervyn's. Across the street from the rail yards.

Watching all the graffiti covered freight cars move slowly past.

If I had a window.

Which I don't.

My "office" is windowless and contains all the IT equipment. Where I come from, this is referred to as a "closet".

It's just as well. If I had a window it would overlook a playground... for developmentally challenged children.

The screaming, the yelling, the crying, the bullying... it's like a pint sized "Jersey Shore".

But I'll make the best of it.

At least I'll have privacy.

To look for another job.