Monday, July 19, 2010

The Green Mile


In my former career working in the entertainment business I dealt my fair share with young Hollywood celebutards. They all end up following such a predictable trajectory it's become boring. The extreme clubbing, the D.U.I.'s, the drugs, the sex tapes, jail time and often death. Natural selection in action.

And then there's Lindsay Lohan.

Don't get me wrong, she's just as big a fuck up as the rest of them. Probably more so because by most accounts she actually showed some talent and promise before she snorted it all away.

And yet I find myself feeling somewhat simpatico with poor Lindsay these days. She was sentenced to jail the same week I received a job offer in Bako, and her courtroom reaction, pictured above, was almost identical to mine. And as she waits for her day of reckoning tomorrow, when she's due to report to jail, I await mine.

I start my new job on Thursday.

There was actually some confusion last week as to whether or not I'd actually been offered the job. There is nothing these people can't screw up. As much as I need the money, I was kind of hoping I had dodged a bullet. But it unfortunately was straightened out and they wanted me to start today. I needed time to put my affairs in order, say good bye to loved ones, come to peace with my fate.

So I put it off until Thursday.

The good news, such as it is, is that the job comes with insurance. As soon as it kicks in I plan on loading up on painkillers and anti-depressants. Maybe I'll "doctor shop" and buy in bulk.

Seems I have more in common with Lindsay than I thought.