Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Mall and the Night Visitor

So, I made my first foray to the local mall. Man, what a dreary experience THAT was. If you're prone to depression, I suggest steering clear, because a visit could just send you over the edge. From the street it looks like a minimum security prison - a low slung pile of concrete and cinder block. No windows that I could see. Inside, it is what it is and has always been - a 70's era enclosed mall. It doesn't appear that there's been much effort to change with the times and spruce it up over the years. And really, why should they bother? There isn't another mall for 100 miles in any direction. When you're the only hooker in town you can afford to let yourself go.

If anything, the Christmas decorations made the experience worse. A smattering of limp, dingy wreathes and a couple of oversized, ratty teddy bears that have seen better days. It had all the charm of Christmas at an animal shelter. I made it about halfway through and then was overcome with the desire to leave.

I believe this year I'll be doing my holiday shopping online.