Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Eric and the F Word

That would make a great children's book title.

Actually, I was looking over the blog and grew a little alarmed at how often I drop the F-bomb. My mother, the school teacher, would be mortified if she read this. I really have no excuse. It's just a sloppy, lazy habit picked up during my years in the entertainment biz. In Hollywood, the F-word is used so casually and so often it doesn't even raise an eyebrow. It's become kind of the go-to, catchall word suitable for all occasions. Spoken in anger or in joy, frustration or despair, it's a noun, a verb, an adjective, whatever you want. It has 101 uses, like baking soda.

But I need to clean up my act, especially now that I live in Bako. People here don't cuss, as far as I know. The harshest thing I've heard was SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL, and that was by a grown man. A grown straight man. I accidentally dropped the bomb in a meeting with a new client, and if it were a movie, it's where everyone would freeze and the music would cut out with the sound of a needle scratching across the vinyl. Which come to think of it is another sloppy and lazy Hollywood habit - how many times have you heard that in movie trailers? Anyhow, I still got the job, but I think they're keeping an eye on me. So from this point on, I vow never to use vulgar language unless it's absolutely fucking necessary.