Wednesday, November 4, 2009

If A Tree Falls In The Forest...

So I'm seriously contemplating committing digital suicide - deleting my Facebook account. I never really understood the attraction of it, but since simply everyone was on it, and I was told it was a great way of generating work, I signed up. Well, the work part never really panned out, so what's the point?

It says I have 182 friends. Or rather "friends". I don't know half of them. Never met 'em. People would "friend" me and maybe I recognized the name from the agency biz, or I knew they were a friend of a friend, or I hadn't the slightest idea who they were, but they knew me, so what the hell, I hit "accept". But the fact of the matter is I couldn't pick most of these people out of a police line-up. It was fun for about a month, but then it just got tedious. Besides, I think almost all of them have "hidden" me. I don't take it personally because I've hidden almost all of my "friends" too, especially the people from High School. We weren't friends then, so why the hell would we be friends now? I stopped posting anything months ago because I never would get any response, not even a "like". When the cute photos of my dogs didn't even get a "thumbs up", I was pretty sure I'd been disappeared by everyone. Probably because I refused to join their "Mafia". Whatever. No great loss. I'm not going to miss "Lil Blue Cove" or the poking - if anyone poked me in real life they'd get slapped upside the head. And I'm pretty sure I'll survive without knowing my Leprechaun or Klingon name.

But the real reason I may pull the plug is it's just too depressing reading about home. Makes me feel like a ghost, looking down on the living.

Plus it's only a matter of time before someone from Bako "friends" me, and then my whole charade will collapse like a house of cards.