Tuesday, May 10, 2011

We Get Mail...



I try to keep up with all the horrible lists Bakersfield lands on, but it's a full-time job. There are just so many ways that this town fails and really, who has the time?

So, many thanks to my good friend and avid reader Sherry who sent me one that I had somehow missed. She sent it the old fashioned way, with a stamp and everything, because she's one of the select few who actually know where we live and has the address.

And according to the clipping she sent, Bakersfield is the 23rd most radioactive city in the country.

I know what you're thinking... "Twenty third? Why so low?".

My thoughts exactly.

It's a little surprising considering all the nefarious military installations nearby and the city's love of all manner of toxic waste. Had they taken the readings in our house I'm sure they would have scored higher, what with our ancient Radar Range. But still, 23rd is a little disappointing and it's going to be a steep climb to make it into the top ten.

If I was Bakersfield, I wouldn't even try. I'd focus on what they do worst:

Worst pollution.

Worst education.

Worst quality of life.


That's like the "Triple Crown of Horribleness" and it's theirs for the taking. I'd hate to see them take their eye off the prize and lose to fucking Fresno.

Besides, they're already more radioactive than them. Fresno clocks in at #83.