Saturday, May 7, 2011

The End Is Nigh



Well, this sucks.

The world is supposed to end on May 21st.

How is it I'm just now learning of this?

If I'd known I could have, you know, made some plans. I sure as hell wouldn't have paid my taxes. Thanks for nothing. According to the Mayans, I figured I had another year and a half. Now I only have two weeks?

At least I don't have to stress out about quitting smoking.

Normally I wouldn't give this much credence, but the locals seem to be a little more susceptable to this sort of thinking. You see lots of "In case of Rapture..." bumper stickers around here. I hope people don't go a little crazy. Once the sun rises on the 22nd, people are going to have some 'splainin to do.

It certainly isn't the first time people have predicted the end of the world. Most famously, the world was supposed to end on Oct. 22, 1844. When that didn't happen, it was labeled as The Great Disappointment.

That was years before Bakersfield was founded and took the title.