Thursday, August 26, 2010

Serenity Now


I'm afraid it's come to this. I think I may have to stage an intervention with the boyfriend. I've put up with this for quite awhile, but in the past couple of weeks I believe he's finally crossed the line and it's time to step in.

Drugs?

Alcohol?

No.

Reality TV.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as addicted as he is. In fact, if it wasn't for Big Brother and Project Runway I'm not sure we would have made it through the summer. It's just that I have standards, and I thought he did too. But in recent weeks he's proved me wrong. He's sunk lower than low. He has a new addiction and it simply must stop...

"Bad Girls Club".

It's vile. There's absolutely nothing about reality TV that's enlightening, I know, but I've never seen a show where I can actually feel my brain cells dying the longer I watch.

The premise is simple. Take 7 white trash, tatted up, pierced skank-whores and plop them in a mansion in Miami that's stocked with more alcohol than a BevMo. Start filming. Hilarity ensues.

The typical episode goes something like this:

"YOU DISRESPECTED ME YOU F***ING WHORE!"

"F*** YOU, YOU SKANKY BITCH!"

"YOU DISRESPECTED ME YOU F***ING WHORE!"

"F*** YOU, YOU SKANKY BITCH!"

"YOU DISRESPECTED ME YOU F***ING WHORE!"

"F*** YOU, YOU SKANKY BITCH!"

"YOU DISRESPECTED ME YOU F***ING WHORE!"

"F*** YOU, YOU SKANKY BITCH!"


Then a catfight ensues. Things get thrown and smashed. Furniture gets upended

In the morning they sober up and hug it out.

Rinse and repeat.

There's no competitions. No one gets voted out. There is no prize.

And he looooves it.

I can't even be in the same room when it's on. It's cringe inducing. It's embarrassing. And he has a timer set to record each episode. It's Season Two and now he's jonesing to find Season One in repeats.

So it has to stop. Time to put the foot down. Time to intervene.

The only real problem I foresee is that he might pick up on the clues. He may see it coming.

One of his other addictions is the show "Intervention".