Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Princess And The Frog


In many of the posts I've written about the cockroaches, the flies, the maggots, I've made snarky allusions to Biblical Plagues. It was all in good fun, a joke. Really.

Or so I thought.

Last night I was taking the dogs our for one last little walk before we went to bed. As we walked back up to the house in the darkness the dogs both stopped to examine a big leaf on the lawn. My older dog nudged it with his nose.

And it hopped.

It wasn't a leaf. It was a frog.

What fun for the dogs! Something new to play with! Or eat!

It took me a second to process what was going on and then I quickly yanked the dogs away before they could rip it apart. But not before my little dog got in one big sloppy lick. I hustled the dogs inside and then called out the boyfriend and we both went outside to investigate.

Sure enough, a frog. It appeared there were a couple more lurking out on the lawn. I have absolutely no experience with frogs, but my understanding is they usually aren't found in the desert in the middle of summer.

We went back inside, and my poor little dog seemed to be in some distress. I can't imagine the frog tasted very good, but then we grew concerned that perhaps the frog was toxic, like the toads kids allegedly lick to get high. Or worse. This is Bakersfield after all, and there isn't a chemical or pesticide these people won't spray over the whole damn city. Maybe it was mutant?

So the boyfriend Googled "frogs in Bakersfield" and found this.

I don't claim to be a Biblical scholar, but taken together with the pests and the dust storms, it certainly seems like Someone is trying to tell them Something. For such pious people they sure can be clueless.

My little dog seemed to recover and we gave her some ice cream just to help get the taste out of her mouth. We started joking about her kissing the frog in hopes of finding her prince.

Sorry honey, but that's never going to happen, not here. This town is nothing but frog.