Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What About Bob?


Once again, Bako makes the national news, and once again, it's ridiculous.

They're opening a new Bob's Big Boy restaurant not far from where we live, and no sooner had they installed the iconic fiberglass Big Boy statue, it was stolen.

The theft doesn't really surprise me; this town is full of hooligans with nothing to do. What surprised me was that they were opening a new Bob's Big Boy restaurant. I didn't realize the chain still existed. There used to be one near my folks, but it closed in the 80's and I haven't seen one since. There's the shrine like, googie style one in Burbank, but the only reason it remained was the fact the city declared it a landmark and it can't be torn down.

At first I thought it was just another indicator that Bako is about 40 years behind the times, but then I realized that it's probably just the case of Bakersfield being the national petri dish for the big restaurant chains and the decision has been made to reboot the franchise.

At any rate, the stupid part of the story (as if it wasn't stupid enough) is that the restaurant now claims the theft will delay the grand opening.

Huh?

Someone needs to sit them down and explain to them that although the Big Boy statue carries a hamburger, he doesn't actually serve the food. I'm pretty sure they can open without him.