Thursday, October 13, 2011

Random Good Things About Bakersfield #21



Well, this is a first. A "Random Good Things About Bakersfield" that's a genuinely "good thing"!

When I set out to write "good things" posts I always start with the best of intentions, really I do. But something happens along the way and they usually end up as snarky back handed compliments at best. Don't know why really. Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim.

But this time is different.

My good friend Sherry found herself in Bakersfield with a couple of hours to kill. Spend much more time in this town and that won't be the only thing you want to kill. She lives in the scenic mountains an hour south of town and needed to have her car serviced and for better or worse, Bako was the closest option.

I went to pick her up from the dealer and we were going to have a nice leisurely breakfast. When I think "fine dining" in Bako, I think of only one place... the trailer park. It just so happened to be only a block or two away. However, once she saw it, she was less than impressed and she had a suggestion of her own.

Six or seven years ago, she'd eaten in an old school diner somewhere in town and thought that would be the perfect place. Worked for me. "Where is it?" I asked. She couldn't recall, although she thought it was near downtown. What's the name of it?" I asked. She couldn't recall that either.

"But I think it's next to a carwash..."

There aren't that many advantages to living in a small podunk town, but one of them is that armed with only that information, we soon found the restaurant... The 24th Street Café.

It is awesome.

It's like stepping back into the 40's. I don't think anything has been changed since that time, but everything is well maintained and authentic. There's a horseshoe shaped counter in the center and well-worn leather booths surrounding it. Even the wait staff seems like they've been transported Back to the Future and couldn't be nicer. And the food is great - typical diner fare done to perfection.

So if you ever have the misfortune to find yourself in Bakersfield, seek out the 24th Street Café... it'll ease the pain.

It's on 24th Street. You would think that was obvious, but it's Bako.

You can't miss it... it's next to the carwash.