Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Halloween Nightmare



For two weeks I've been waiting.

Patiently, anxiously waiting.

Waiting.

For a sign.

Any sign.

Of Halloween.

From Jim.

Two years ago, we'd only lived here a few weeks and we were both dispirited and depressed. And then one bright morning, October 1st, I rounded the corner with the dogs and BAM!, there it was, Jim's Halloween Extravaganza. It was the first time I'd smiled since we got here.

It was only 7am and already the driveway was lined with scarecrows and an inflatable witch held court in the center of the yard. Another inflatable, a ginaormous Grim Reaper, guarded the front gate. Jim was busy hanging ghosts in the tree. Little did I know, this was just the beginning. Each and every day throughout the month, something else would be added. Mummies and zombies and bats and monsters. Severed limbs soon dotted the lawn. Basically, every single Halloween decoration you could possibly find at Home Depot and Walmart was crammed into Jim's 20'x40' front yard. A lot of it was motion activated to shake and shimmy and shriek, and as the dogs and I walked by the entire yard seemed to vibrate and howl.

So last year I was filled with anticipation as September turned into October. And then, for weeks... nothing. Ultimately Jim put up an abbreviated version of his All Hallows Tableau. It paled in comparison to the previous year's show, but it was still pretty elaborate and entertaining.

And now, this year...

It's October 12 and there isn't even a hint of Halloween across the street.

Truth be told, I really haven't even seen Jim all that much recently. I've caught glimpses of him here and there, so I know there hasn't been any unfortunate parole violations. But he's made himself scarce for most of the Summer and now the Fall and I almost never run into him walking the dogs in the mornings.

Until this morning.

There he was, walking towards me with his dog on the sidewalk across the street. I'd finally be able to ask him, confront him about his lack holiday cheer.

And I did.

"Not feelin' it this year. I'm not doing shit."


My heart sank.

I can't tell you how sad that makes me. The boyfriend promises me we'll put up some of our decorations this weekend, but it just won't be the same.