Friday, October 14, 2011

In Memoriam



Bakersfield mourns the passing of local legend Charles Napier. He was a character actor you've no doubt seen in countless movies and TV shows. My personal favorite was his turn on the original "Star Trek"...



He passed away the same day as Steve Jobs, so the news was a little lost in the shuffle. He was 75.

He was the biggest celebrity to call Bako home and he was a fixture at many local events.

His funeral was yesterday and I only caught it on the news this morning.

At one point the reporter was interviewing his son and asked why his father chose to settle in Bakersfield. The son laughed and said...

"You know, we broke down here once on a trip up north and my father looked around and said 'Look at this place. Who the hell would want to live here?'. But for some reason he eventually fell in love with the place..."

So I guess there's hope for me. Maybe one day I'll be Bako's biggest booster.

I wouldn't bet the farm on it though.