Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Parable of the Fig Tree



Dogs. Figs. Not a good combination.

Our massive fig tree in the backyard started dropping fruit about a week ago. I have to admit I was concerned about the dogs, but they didn't seem to show any interest in them. And why would they? They've never shown any interest in anything healthy before. I really should have picked them up, but there were so many of them and the squirrels seemed to be doing an OK job of it on their own.

But all that changed this morning.

I'd let the dogs in the back yard a couple of times this morning and didn't think anything of it, but as I sat down to write a different post, all of a sudden my older dog started acting frantic and jumping at the back door. I assumed he's seen a cat or something and let him out.

He proceeded to run to the grass and start eating it maniacally, something they do when their stomaches are upset. But I had never seen anything like this; he was acting possessed. I tried to approach him but he started to growl at me. Now I was starting to panic because I hadn't a clue what was wrong.

And then he started to make that awful dog-wretching sound, the one that starts with the dry heaves and usually ends up with me on the floor with a bucket and carpet shampoo. Luckily, we were outside this time. And sure enough, soon up came all the grass he'd just eaten and two (TWO!) fully intact figs!

He didn't even chew them. How he got them down in the first place I'll never know.

He seems OK now, but I'm keeping an eye on him. It appears I'll be spared a trip to the vet. I did a little checking online and was relieved to discover it isn't uncommon for dogs to eat them and they aren't poisonous. It did also say that fermented figs on the ground act as an intoxicant on dogs. Makes 'em drunk.

After the last couple of days I may have to give that a try later today.