Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Like Wildfire



Well that was fast.

I had lunch with my buddies, the Gossip Girls, on Friday. The following Monday, last Monday, I received an email from my client, the one that had been making booty calls across the street. She said she had a job for me but it was so complex it couldn't be described over the phone or through e-mail. We would have to meet.

That proved not to be true when we met the next day. The job was so simple Helen Keller could've figured it out with an e-mail. But then, that wasn't really why I had been summoned.

"So you live over in ------?" she said.

I had never told her that. She had obviously... heard.

Two days! And over a weekend at that. I have to say I was impressed.

"Why yes, I do" I answered innocently.

"What street do you live on?" she asked.

I told her.

"What's your address?"

I told her.

"That is SO funny" she lied. "I'm dating a guy who lives right across the street!"

She was in complete damage control mode.

It occurred to me I should probably express some surprise that she was no longer with her husband, but really what was the point?

I knew.

She knew I knew.

And I knew she knew I knew.

Besides, the word was she had deleted him as a Facebook friend weeks ago.

Now, in hindsight, I didn't realize what a risk I had taken. She very well could have written me off as a snitch and decided not to do business with me anymore. But my actions had revealed me to be something more than a snitch.

Now I was a source.

'What do you know about -----?" she asked, inquiring about the business dealings of one of my lunch companions.