Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lifting Under The Influence

I'd begun to grow concerned about Jim, my favorite neighbor, the Exterior Decorator. The holidays are long over, the showroom front yard has been barren for weeks, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of him since before Christmas. Maybe he'd run off to work the carnival circuit.

And then this morning, there he was, walking his snickerdoodle, or whatever the hell it is. But something looked off about him.

Before I could even say "Good Morning" he blurted out "I had a hernia operation".

People in Bako, always oversharing.

He was anxious to give me the details, but I begged off. Of all the things I don't care to know about, Jim's hernia would be high on the list, especially since I don't even know him. I wouldn't even want to know the details of my hernia, were I to have one.

Even without the specifics, I think one thing is clear - alcohol and barbells don't mix. Consider it a teachable moment.

He said he'd be right as rain in three or four weeks.

What a relief.... just in time for Easter!