Friday, February 3, 2012

House Hunters



The past week has been overwhelming, between an unexpected avalanche of work, trips to LA and the recently wrapped reconstruction of the house. It's been unbelievably stressful. Good stress, but stress none the less. I woke up early this morning when I thought I might be having a heart attack. Instead, I think it was just the questionable fried chicken I ate last night. Without the boyfriend's McGyver-like skills in the kitchen, I've been left to my own devices and on more than one occasion I've chosen poorly.

Speaking of the boyfriend, he's been a busy bee as well. For a week now he's been looking for a new place to live, on his lunch hours and after work. And earlier this week it appeared as though he had found our new home. He sent me a link to the listing with a ton of photos and he took a bunch more with his phone and emailed them to me. The plan was for me to drive down with the dogs this weekend and give my blessing once I'd seen it in person. But unexpectedly yesterday I was approached about several TV projects and after a crazy quick trip to LA, I now have too much work over the weekend to leave. But still, I thought it best to get a second opinion on the new house. The boyfriend tends to have issues with spatial relationships which becomes a problem with as much crap as we have. So, since I wasn't able to check out the new apartment, I did the next best thing... I sent my mother.

And why not? She is, after all where I get my innate design sense and good taste. If it didn't pass muster with here it probably wouldn't with me either. And the good news is, after a showing last night, she gave it her stamp of approval. She hates the carpet, but other than that, we're good to go.

The plan now it to rent it as of March 1st and move probably mid-March. The Bako house should go up for sale next week, priced to move. Our feeling is the house shows better with furniture in it, especially once the boyfriend gives it his magical staging touch, so if we have to stay a couple of weeks longer than we'd like, if it helps get a better offer, it's the cost of doing business.

So overall, everything seems to be going swimmingly. Which scares me a little. I keep looking over my shoulder waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It's Bakersfield... you know there just has to be another shoe.