Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hole Lotta Lovin’



Wow.

Things are movin' fast around here. After, what, five months?, we finally have a new ceiling. Hired a contractor on Saturday and he and his team showed up yesterday and now not only do we have a completely re-plastered, cottage cheese free ceiling, but we also have two good as new bathrooms. After we bought the house and pried 30 years worth of wallpaper off the walls, we discovered why the previous owners went with a wall covering in the bathrooms... to cover up the massive amounts of water damage. I tried my best, but several coats of primer couldn't cover it. So my new best friend contractor re-plastered those as well.

It's been absolute pandemonium here the past two days, with me and the dogs locked in the office while most of the house either got piled up with moved furniture or was tarped off in plastic. I haven't showered since Monday, since the crew showed up yesterday before I had a chance and with all the new plaster the shower couldn't be used last night or today. Or tomorrow morning more than likely. Good thing I'm here alone.

I owe a huge, huge thanks to my parents, who loaned us the cash to get it done. We couldn't list the house until it was resolved and they are so excited to have us moving nearby that they helped us out. They've actually offered several times, but we thought it was our problem, not theirs and since we thought we were stuck here until the end of time, we figured we'd come up with the money eventually. But now that there's light at the end of the tunnel and escape is in sight, time was of the essence.

And allegedly we're getting a new fence tomorrow. I just met and spoke to our new scary neighbors, chatting over the old screen door that currently serves as the only barrier keeping our dogs apart. Since the fence came down during what passes for a "storm" here, it qualified as an "act of God". So I was wrong... this place isn't completely Godforsaken. First sign of God I've seen since we moved here. At any rate, the neighboring home owner's insurance is covering most of the cost. We may have to kick in a couple of hundred bucks, but that's like bonding out of jail as far as I'm concerned. The house wouldn't sell as long as the fence was down, so anything that helps move things along is AOK with me.