Saturday, February 18, 2012

Feeling Blue



Up to my eyeballs in boxes. Again.

Moving used to be something kind of exciting, when it happened every five or six years, but this will make three moves in three years and the thrill is gone, even when it means leaving Bakersfield.

Now, if only we had somewhere to move to.

The boyfriend drove back up late last night to help with the packing and he came with some distressing news. We were turned down for the lovely Tina's condo. It's probably just as well because the odds of her being able to truck all her hoardings out in the next few weeks looked remote. He was somewhat cryptic about the reasons, but you don't have to draw me a map - we were declined shortly after they ran my credit.

I only have one blemish on my credit report, but it's a doozy... the short sale of the LA house. Everyone told me at the time that doing a short sale was preferable to a foreclosure, that the impact to my credit wouldn't be nearly as bad. And yet, the day escrow closed on the short sale, my FICO score dropped 300 points and every last credit card I had was cancelled. Even the Discover. So, if a foreclosure is worse, do you have to give the bank a kidney or something?

There is a possible silver lining. There's another unit for rent in the same complex and the boyfriend checked it out before he drove up. It's a little less private, a little darker and a little cheaper, but it's essentially identical to the one we saw last week. He met the landlord and my credit won't be an issue. Or so he says.

There's just one catch...

"They're painting the living room blue" said the boyfriend. "And it isn't a very pretty shade of blue."

My, these Orange County folks are a colorful lot.

Considering most of our furniture and belongings are in the warm, inviting earth tones of the 70's, it's going to make for a pretty garish existence. As far as home decor color palettes go, "blue" would probably be my second least favorite. My absolute least favorite would be "yellow", so I suppose you could say we're moving up.

All the same, we'll keep looking. And the clock is ticking.