Monday, August 22, 2011

The Shut-Ins



We finally discovered the perfect way to enjoy a weekend in Bakersfield...

We never left the house.

It certainly wasn't planned that way. The boyfriend had to go into work briefly Saturday morning and while he was gone I took care of the yard work. When he returned, we sat down to plan the weekend and figure out where we had to go and what we had to do and the answer to everything was... nada. We didn't even have to make a trip to the market.

The weather was mild for an August in Bako, but enjoying the pool wasn't really an option; it's currently unusable. When we first erected it last month it was partially shaded by our fig tree, which was unavoidable. The fig tree is so gargantuan that it looms over most of the backyard. But not to worry, or so we thought. It had dropped its bounty of questionable fruit back in June and knowing nothing about fruit trees we assumed that would be it for the season.

Wrong!

The very first day we used the pool, as I floated on my little raft gazing up into the tree, I noticed what appeared to be "Round Two". Sure enough.... it's "Revenge of the Figs". They started ripening last week and they've been dropping into the pool and even though we try and swoop in and get them out as quickly as possible, you can't get them all out in time and and they start dissolving into a gelatinous muck. The pool currently looks like a petri dish.

We did, however, have a list of little projects around the house, so we threw on some tunes, cranked up the AC and basically puttered around here for two days. It was lovely. You'd never even know you were in Bakersfield.

And besides, I need to rest up. Tomorrow I start an interesting new project. It's from one of my clients in LA, for one of the networks. It's an ongoing gig and slated to run for several months and if it's successful it could lead to full-time job and our ticket out of Dogpatch. I'd almost go as far as saying I'm excited, but "excited" isn't offered on our menu anymore. It's not so much that I'm a pessimist, although there's that. It's just that after four years I've lost count of the potentially life saving, career salvaging jobs and opportunities that have fizzled, flatlined of failed to launch at the eleventh hour. Once you've had your hopes crushed that many times, you learn it's best just not to have them.

So let's just say we're cautiously optimistic.

I hope I didn't just jinx it by even writing that.

.