Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Road Trip II: Electric Boogaloo



Off to LA, yet again. This time for a long planned Doctor's appointment. No offense to the lovely Third World doctors of Bako, but I'd just prefer to see my longtime physician... in Beverly Hills.

Actually, I'm not so sure I'm still considered a patient. I haven't seen him in four years and when I called to make the appointment they told me I had dropped out of the system. Seems I've been getting that a lot lately. They eventually found me... in the archive.

Doesn't that just make you feel young and fresh?

The reason I haven't been in so long is that when I lost my last "real" job, I also lost my insurance. I was so sure I would land a new job within weeks that I didn't even bother to sign up for COBRA.

Clearly, that didn't work out.

After going without for a couple of years, I grew concerned enough to seek out insurance on my own.

Basically, you quickly learn that if you aren't employed, the insurance companies just want you to die. Their cheapest plans for the self employed just come with a coffin. I was finally able to find a plan through a professional graphics organization. It's completely usurious but the best I could find. For $7000 a year and a horrendous deductible I get basically nothing but "catastrophic" care. I guess I'll find out what that means when I test drive it tomorrow - it's the very first time in two years I've attempted to use it.

I hope I have enough money left or the gas to get home.