Monday, August 15, 2011

The Long Road Ahead. In More Ways Than One.



Off to LA today.

Last week I received a call from a recruiter in LA, wanting to set up an interview. Today's the day.

I suppose I should be more upbeat about it, but truth be told, I've been down this road before.

When I was first downsized back in 2007, the first thing I did was hit all the recruiters. At last count I think I was registered with 12 of them. Most of them, I never heard from again. I found out later that there are so many people looking for work, and so few jobs, that most recruiters thin the herd rather brutally. Even though it's illegal, if you're over 40, your application goes straight to the dead letter office more often than not. And most recruiters dump job seekers after 60 days. They figure if they haven't found you a job by then, they probably won't, your "sell by" date has passed and there's always a fresh supply of desperate people behind you to fill any job that may pop up.

I discovered all this a couple of weeks ago when I went to update my resumé at one of the bigger recruiters, only to discover they hadn't heard of me before.

"But I have a login and everything" I said. And then I told the helpful woman on the phone when I originally registered.

"Oh honey - you dropped out of the system years ago."

So, needless to say, I wasn't expecting much to come of it. Imagine my surprise when they called to set up an interview tomorrow.

So, we'll see. A three hour drive for probably a 20 minute interview. And they don't validate. That's always a bad sign.