Friday, March 5, 2010

Taxicab Confessions


I saw a Taxi!

No, not those in the picture above. Those belong to one of my neighbors, the meanest looking lesbian I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of mean looking lesbians in my day, so that's saying something. She has an equally mean looking Rottweiler. And the taxi collection above, neatly displayed on the back dash of her Hyundai.

I will never understand lesbians.

I see her out when we're both walking our dogs, but we've never spoken. Whenever the Rottweiler gets wind of you, it goes berserk, and although she's built like a linebacker I have my doubts about her ability to maintain control of the dog.

So we run away.

But I digress.

No, I saw a real, honest to god Taxi, just like you see in big cities and on TeeVee. I was shocked that I was shocked, but we've been here almost six months and I'd never seen one. Something once so common and unremarkable is now like a meteor sighting. I guess it just never occurred to me that you would need taxis here. Public transit here is a joke, so everyone has a car. And anyone misfortunate enough to be visiting more likely than not arrived by car. Although there's an airport, it sits mostly unused. What little air service there was was prohibitively expensive and has been mostly discontinued in the economic downturn.

The only reason I can see for hailing a taxi is if you had a little too much hooch down at Buck Owens' Crystal Palace and you need a lift back to Outer Hooterville.

Doesn't seem like much of a business model to me, but what do I know.