Sunday, March 28, 2010

Census And Sensibility

We received our census form in the mail a couple of weeks ago and I'm conflicted as to what to do with it.

The answer seems obvious enough. Filling it out is the right this to do. In a perfect world, that would be the end of discussion.

But this isn't a perfect world, it's Bakersfield. And in Bako, doing the right thing runs smack dab into my denial about actually living here. Ours is an unfortunate, temporary situation and shouldn't be formally recognized on any government forms. At least that's what I tell myself.

So I've been somewhat guilt stricken.

But then I saw a report on the local news reminding people of the importance of sending it in. They said not filling it out could potentially cost Bako and Kern County seats in Congress and the State Legislature.

Hmmm.... Kern County only elects whackjob, wingnut Republicans.

And not filling out the census could mean fewer of them, you say?

Into the trash it went.

It's for the greater good.