Thursday, October 28, 2010

Neighbor Hoods


I thought something was up a couple of weekends ago when I noticed the militantly fit couple across the street packing up their matching SUVs.

We never actually met them but I'd see them most mornings returning from the gym as I took the dogs out for their early morning walk. When the weather was warmer they'd finish up their workout with sets of crunches and leg lifts on the front lawn before heading inside. At first I didn't find that odd because I'm from West Hollywood where such "Hello Sailor!" front yard physical displays are fairly routine. In time, in the context of Bako, it just seemed creepy.

They were in their early 30's and the husband was hot. The wife was too, I suppose, if you're into that sort of thing. It wasn't uncommon to see them packing up the cars on the weekends. Usually with mountain bikes or kayaks or camping gear or all the sorts of things that made you feel like an inferior slacker. But this time they appeared to be packing to move. Clear plastic bins loaded with Franklin Mint collectables and Hummels and all the precious breakables you wouldn't trust to movers.

And just like that, they were gone. The next day a "For Rent" sign appeared on the lawn.

I figured it would sit empty for months like several other vacancies on the block. So imagine my surprise yesterday, when I returned from my twelve hour shift of "Ice Road Truckers", to discover new neighbors moving in...

Gangbangers!

At least that's what it looks like. Who else tows a U-Haul with a lowered Escalade with chrome spinner rims?

Just one more thing for Mary to freak out about. I hope they smoke.