Thursday, April 1, 2010

Seeing The Light


I had an epiphany of sorts last night. Maybe it was because being angry and depressed all the time just ultimately wears you out. As I was lying awake in bed, unable to sleep, I couldn't stop thinking that there had to be a reason we were here, some reason that fate had stuck us in the last place on earth we'd ever think to live. And then I realized that maybe all my negative energy and bitterness were blocking my ability to see the possibilities, to see the reason why we're here. Maybe by focusing so relentlessly on what we had lost, I wasn't able to see everything we had gained.

I know what some of you may be thinking...

"He's high..."

"He's had some sort of psychotic break..."


But no. It's just the realization that I've expended so much energy focusing on the glass half empty that I haven't been able to see the glass half full. There is actually a lot of opportunity here, if only I would take the time to look for it. And when you really think about the things that are important in life, Bakersfield really isn't that bad a place to live.

There are probably people out there who think this couldn't possibly be genuine, that there was no way I could have undergone such a change of heart. And all I can say to those naysayers is,
check the date.