Monday, February 22, 2010

A Penney For Your Thoughts

So I was driving last week, listening to "Radio Free Bakersfield" (NPR) and they were about to interview a woman who had lost everything in the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme.

She had written a book about losing it all and how to cope with it. Well, I've lost everything and could definitely use some tips on how to cope. This, I needed to hear.

Unfortunately, I had a meeting and missed it.

Then a few days later I came home and flipped on the TV and they had just wrapped up an interview with her on one of the afternoon talk shows.

Damn. Missed her again.

But this morning she was on "Good Morning America" and I was finally able to hear her important tips on coping with losing everything.

Her name is Alexandra Penney and her book is entitled "The Bag Lady Papers: The Priceless Experience of Losing It All".

And do you know what I learned?

I learned it helps to be a rich magazine editor in Manhattan who can call in favors from important friends and bang out a book in six months and then have your PR firm book you on every media outlet known to man.

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to give that a try!

And thank God she didn't really lose everything... she still has the artist's studio in the SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan, a cottage in West Palm Beach, Florida and a "beach shack" in Wainscott.

Priceless indeed.

I think she's going to be OK after all.

Call it a hunch.