Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Next Up: Locusts

How the hell do people live here? Every day seems to bring another Biblical plague. Actually, now it's making sense, the whole Jesus-ness of this place. Anyone with a working cerebral cortex has obviously fled, and all that's left are the snake handlers and tongue speakers who get off on being smote.

So the first big winter storm is moving into California today, and I was actually looking forward to it. And last night as I walked the dogs, you could feel it approaching, the wind gusting, a chill in the air, a Fallish feeling you rarely get in LA. And I went to sleep hoping to be woken up by the sound of rain.

No such luck. What I woke up to was a "dust" storm. That's what they call it. They're delusional. It's DIRT. Airborne dirt. From the hundreds of thousands of acres of fallow farmland and bankrupt, half finished home developments. Enveloping this craptastic city in a cloud so thick you can't see to the end of the street. You walk outside and immediately your eyes sting, they scratch. Just walking to your car coats you in a fine film of dirt. I just tried to walk the dogs and even they wouldn't venture into it, and digging in dirt is their JOB. It's what they DO. They aren't idiots. Unlike the residents of this hellhole. I was outside for less than ten minutes and I feel like I just clawed my way out of a shallow grave. And it's LETHAL. It carries something called "Valley Fever", which, I'm told is only occasionally fatal. If you grew up here, you have a certain immunity, or so they believe. Well, if you grew up here, and you're still here, you're a moron. Meanwhile, it's only us newcomers who evidently have to be concerned with, you know, dying.

I'm hoping when the rain comes, if it does, it'll wash all this crap out of the air. But the way things are going, if the rain finally does arrive, it'll be flaming.