Friday, January 7, 2011

Those Who Can, Do. Those Who Can’t...



After midday, the fog lifted and the dogs signaled they needed to go out. I saddled them up and off we went. I ignored Mary in her front yard, pruning a shrub that was dead and brittle, like her heart. Across the street, the gangbangers were mowing their dirt. We rounded the corner, past the low-riders who were arc welding probably stolen car parts in their makeshift garage chop shop. Crossed the street by The Old Man Who Washes His Car. We must have just missed him because there were still suds in the drive. Rounded yet another corner and there was Jim, highball in one hand, garden hose in the other.

"How 'ya doing Eric?" he asked.

"Im fine Jim, and you?" I replied.

"Higher than a Georgia pine!" he replied "Thanks for asking."

He's not just an alcoholic, but a pothead too.

He raised his glass in a mock toast and I could hear the ice tinkle from across the street.

Just another lazy afternoon here in beautiful...

"Disability Acres".

That's what I've nicknamed our neighborhood, because no one here appears to work.

In fact, a large percentage of the population is on "disability". Our former neighbor Cindy was; she told me as much herself. Mary is too - I heard her bitching on the phone one month when her check was late. Jim's disabled - "back problems" he says. His father too, same thing. Must be genetic. I think it's a safe bet that the gangbangers and low-riders and others are too. Walk around our neighborhood on any afternoon and the one thought you have is... "People sure do seem to have a lot of free time here."

At first, I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt. "They must all work the late shift" I thought. But day after day you see them. Seemingly able-bodied men in their 30's or 40's, slouched in worn recliners at the edge of an open garage, propped between the billiard table and an open cooler of Bud Light, watching the world go by. By mid-afternoon they seem pretty blotto, so I think any type of night work is probably out of the question.

It's made me realize I'm approaching everything all wrong. Beating myself up for having no work, the sleepless nights wondering how the bills are going to be paid. Rather than looking for a job, what I really need to find is a shady doctor.

Shouldn't be too hard.